Tuesday, February 1, 2011

1000 SONGS - DAY 25 - SONG # 45

Day 45 - A song that describes you

As I have promised to have at least one song by Johnny Cash in each category of the 30 days song challenge after having done the 1000 songs, here is "Wayfaring Stranger" as rendered by the great, the dignified, the wonderful JC (do those letters remind you of the name of a saviour?):



It is a traditional, and there is no consent to be found with regard to its origins. Anyway, Burl Ives' rendering of the song seems to have been important for its spreading around the world.

Here are the lyrics;

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
Traveling through, this world of woe. [Note that JC sings: "below"]
There's no sickness, toil nor danger
That bright land, to which I go.
I'm going there to see my mother
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home.

I know dark clouds will gather round me
I know my way is rough and steep;
But beautiful fields lie just beyond me
Where souls redeemed, their vigils keep
I'm going there to see my father
I'm going there no more to roam;
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home.

I wanna wear a crown of glory
When I get home to I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
I'm just going over home.

Be that as it may, a version I really like is done by 16 Horsepower. I came to know it through a sampler by the German label Glitterhouse, called "Nevermind" (!), where it is featured on the bonus CD, called "No Depression"



There is version done by 16HP's mastermind David Eugene Edwards done more or less in solo style to be found on UTUBE



And, as a bonus track, a song by david eugene, performed by 16 Horsepower, The Black Soul Choir, what a great song!!!



And in a future post we will add some songs by Woven Hand

No comments:

Post a Comment