Tuesday, July 3, 2012

1000 SONGS - DAY 223 SONG #254

Day 223: A song from my childhood, w/h Don Covay

The song from my childhood is "Mercy Mercy" by Don Covay, in the 1965 version of The Rolling Stones - my elder brother (the oldest) owned an album of famous Stones tracks issued by some German magazine (I think it was Bravo) I used to hear and shout to a lot (I remember shouting: HEYHEYYOUYOU GET OFF OF MY CLOUD!!). This album contained the Stones' version of Covay's Mercy Mercy. Here is Covay's own rendering of his song:




I do not know, whether he has written the next song's tune or lyrics, but in my humble opinion, one of the best choices one could make is to do everything in a funky way:



What I do know is that Covay has written this here song, one of the best soul songs ever written, Chain of Fools, a song about a woman who finds out that she is but a link in the chain of women a certain guy "had" - made famous by Aretha Franklin:



And for the sake of childhood memory, the Stones' version of "Mercy Mercy":

No comments:

Post a Comment