Saturday, October 6, 2012

1000 SONGS - DAY 242 SONG #273

Day 242: One of my favourite waltzes

This waltz is said to be in 6/8 rather than in 3/4, and when clapping to it, I have the feeling that this might be right. Whatever the difference might be, this piece of music tends to be featured as the Waltz #2 of Shostakovitch's Jazz Suite #2 (even on the U-Tube links featured in this blog). This is wrong. The Waltz #2 is pièce 7 of the Suite for Variety Orchestra and nothing else. It has become famous for being used in the soundtrack of the Stanley Kubrick movie Eyes Wide Shut (one of the rare movies I like altough the man formerly married to Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes stars in it). There exist also some versions of the theme I would rather not recommend (by Andre Rieux and James Last, f.e.). Here is a version one could appreciate, another one (with scenes from the movie in the background) that I find rather wonderful and a full rendering of the suite in question, a fine version, in my humble opinion.






No comments:

Post a Comment