Saturday, April 28, 2012

1000 SONGS - DAY 207 SONG # 238

Day 207 Another song about personal relationships

Aretha Franklin surely deserves our respect as one of the great soul singers of all time. A  black woman covering Otis Redding's RESPECT in 1967, what a fine idea by the producers, and what a fine version she did in reversing gender-roles in a time when there was still 'some' race talk in the land of the free:



What you want Baby, I got
What you need  do you know I've got it
All I'm askin' is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Hey baby (just a little bit) when you get home
(Just a little bit) mister (just a little bit)

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
Ain't gonna do you wrong  'cause I don't want to
All I'm askin' is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Baby (just a little bit) when you get home (just a little bit)

I'm about to give you all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
Is to give me my profits
When you get home (just a, just a, just a, just a)
Yeah baby (just a, just a, just a, just a)
When you get home (Just a little bit)

Ooh, your kisses sweeter than honey
And guess what -  so is my money
All I want you to do for me
Is give it to me when you get home (Re, re, re ,re)
Yeah baby (Re, re, re ,re)
Whip it to me (Respect, just a little bit)
When you get home, now (Just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB

(Suck it to me, suck it to me, suck it to me, suck it to me)
A little respect (suck it to me, suck it to me, suck it to me, suck it to me)
Whoa, babe (just a little bit) a little respect (just a little bit)
I get tired (just a little bit) keep on tryin' (just a little bit)
You're runnin' out of foolin' (just a little bit)
And I ain't lyin' (just a little bit)
(Re, re, re, re) 'spect
When you come home (re, re, re ,re)
Or you might walk in (respect, just a little bit)
And find out I'm gone (just a little bit) I got to have (just a little bit)
A little respect (just a little bit)

For the sake of completeness, here is the OR version, with appeasing horn arrangements, but never ever to match with the queen's rendering of the song:



And for the sake of good music, here's another one of my favourite Aretha Franklin versions of great songs, Chain of Fools, another song about personal relationships:




No comments:

Post a Comment