Wednesday, April 20, 2011

1000 SONGS- DAY 33 Songs # 56 & 57

Song # 56: A Song you can play on an instrument

Maceo Parker would eventually not be all too happy with the idea of having me as a drummer in his band; nevertheless, I am sure, that funk is the style of music I am best at with playing drums and I do like Maceo, who has been a key member of the band to back up James Brown. If I remember it rightly, I have attended 3 live performances of Maceo and it was always HOT. The horn secrtion of JB's band, Maceo, Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis have also played together as the JB Horns in the 1990ies, the group to become Maceo's band later on.
Maceo and Fred Wesely also were members of the Horny Horns , the horn section (and spin-off) of George Clinton's Parliament-Funkadelic. Here is the version of SOUL POWER from the (double in vinyi) lLP "Life on Planet Groove" (with Kenwood Dennard on drums ), featuring the afore mentioned heroes of the horns and other great musicians. I might not play it exactly like Kenwood Dennard does...




Day # 57: A song that you wish you could play

This is a song by pianist and drummer Jack De Johnette, one of the most influential Jazz-Drummers of the last decades, who has been featured on such seminal albums as Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" and has been a sideman to nearly everybody of ECM-fame (like John Abercrombie ) and here we can hear him with a band of very fine musicians; the main part is in 9/4 and I have not succeeded until now to understand how De Johnette (sub-)divides the 9 quarters of that syncopated rhythm. If anyone has the drum charts, please send them to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment