Monday, April 25, 2011

1000 SONGS - DAY 38 - Song # 64

Day 38: Songs that bring tears to my eyes

I was searching for sad songs, then I wound up with melancholy, so The Band came to my mind. I am sure that I have seen the movie more than 2 times; a sympathetic friend once gave the vinyl version of THE LAST WALTZ as a present to me; nevertheless, I have been literally flabbergasted by the great performance of The Band, The Staple Singers, and last (again: not least) Uncle Neil back then. So I start with The Weight, as rendered by The Band & The Staple Singers, and as one commentator on UTUBE has remarked: Pops Staples alone justifies humanities existence..



The other song from that concert featured here is Neil Young's Helpless, a much better version than on the original NY recording, imho. But take a look at the arrangement of persons on the stage: the boys having fun in the center (almost taking the melancholy out of it), whilst Joni "stupid girl" Mitchell backs it up literally:




Ok, we can't have Helpless without the Bad Seed's version, not on Easter Monday (take out your lighters):


No comments:

Post a Comment