Sunday, January 2, 2011

1000 SONGS - DAY 10: SONGS # 26-28

Day 26 - A song that you can play on an instrument

I can play no real instrument; I can play some simple songs on the drums. At least, I pretend. Here is a tune recorded in the early 90ies by BAD BISHOP'S DAUGHTER; lyrics and music are by Clarissa Horak, the singer, featured are Andreas Wernitznig (guit.) and Göran Bredberg (bass); me, I play the drums - to be honest, I do like what I play on the hi-hat at the outro of the song:


THE POP SONG


Day 27 - A song that you wish you could play

Back to real musicians: Frank Zappa wrote this piece of music called "The Black Page" with respect to the fear musicians feel when being confronted with a sheet full of notes (so that it literally seems to be black). There is an anecdote about Terry Bozzio who auditioned for Zappa's band and got the drum notes handed out, only to return a few days later being able to play it. Nevertheless, this video features Chad Wackerman on drums. As far as I can judge, this is a challenge to all the musicians involved:




Day 28 - A song that makes you feel guilty

Gordon Gano sings a kind of prayer (taken from Violent Femmes' album "3")



See my ships
they are sailing
in and out of the harbor
will they go together
or must they stay apart
yes I know it's in my heart
surely you see what's inside of me
Jesus is coming soon
I can hear Gabriel
blow his trumpet tune
this I know
this I know
our Lord is coming soon
mercy mercy me
Marvin Gaye he was shot
by his father
o my Father
have mercy on me
cold Kane o my cheap thrill
o my shame for Cain
and the devil
momma I need water
I'm thirsty
surely you see
what's inside of me

No comments:

Post a Comment