Saturday, December 25, 2010

1000 SONGS - DAY 3, SONGS 7- 9

Day 07 – a song that reminds you of a certain event.

This is a hard one –I have been thinking about personal & historical events that might have been linked to certain music in my life, I have checked my memory against historical evidence and found out, that sometimes I just remembered it wrongly, mixing up dates; in other, better documented cases the songs were not available. So I did the next two days first and came up with an overall idea for that three songs. “Living in the Past” by Jethro Tull neatly fits in here. And, as far as events are concerned, I have owned the album called after that very tune and listened to it at vearious occasions. I did enjoy the music classes in school and my music teacher also did like JT, so I gave a presentation on them during one of those classes. It was one of the bands II could agree upon with most of my friends in that time, we have been to JT-concerts as teenagers. Summing it up, at least pars pro toto this wonderful song stands for the many events in my life as a teenager (later on I somehow lost contact with Ian Anderson) that are connected to the music played by Jethro Tull during the late Sixties and throughout the Seventies. As it is my (partly remote) past that I am writing about, “Living in the Past” makes sense in this respect, too. There are many versions and videos of it to be found on UTUBE, I chose the one from a French TV-show because of stemming from the time and the way the speaker pronounces the name of the band in French:



Day 08 – A song that you know all the words to

There are so many songs I know all the words to; one of them is David Bowie's "Five Years" that often comes to my mind because of the lines "girl my age went off her head, hit some tiny children, if the blacks hadn't a pulled her off, I think she would have killed them". Brian Molko also knows all the words and - in contradistinction to me - all of the chords, too (normally, in Bowie songs, not too few of them, in here about 8?). I do not know, what the situation is about, but it looks a bit like Brian has been checked by some older colleagues. Btw, like all the other reasonable 15 year old girls, I do like Placebo a lot:



Here is the original version done by David Robert Jones:



And here a version by Bowie to prove that not even Ziggy Stardust himself succeeds in remembering all of his own words exactly and in every detail:



Day 09 - A song that you can dance to

I'm sure that I am able to dance to almost every song (maybe [surely] not according to the rules of people who teach others how to dance). At the moment it is rather hard for me, as I have broken my left foot only recently. As someone playing the drums from time to time, I should also be able to make sense of odd meters, especially because that way this post will have some formal consistence in the rhythmic patterns provided. To me, one of the finest pieces of music set in an odd meter - 7/4 -is Dave Brubeck's "Unsquare Dance". It is featured here to pay due respect to Joe Morello (to the left), too, one of the greatest drummers of all time, in my humble opinion - every person playing the drums should study/practice his "Master Studies" seriously and intensively (along with another classic practice-book, Ted Reed's "Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer"

Be that as it may, here is a lesson of how to dance the unsquare dance:



Recently, British piano-player Paddy Milner hast earned some fame for his version of Brubeck's seminal composition. Here is a video from 2010 where he gives a solo-version of it:



In case that you have tried to count along with it (as I have done), don't get confused by what he is doing from roughly 1:20 to about 2:37; he is simply turning it to straight fours; which is more obvious and less confusing [and fervently discussed by YouTube-users] on the band version of that one:

No comments:

Post a Comment