Thursday, December 30, 2010

1000 SONGS- DAY 7 - SONGS # 15 & 16

Day 15 - A song that describes you

Not in every detail, but "School Days" by Loudon Wainwright III gives a good outline of what I think about myself. Here is a link (mp3 only, opens in new window, click on "SCHOOL DAYS") to my favourite version, sung by (in order of appearance): Kate & Anna Mc Garrigle, Rufus & Martha Wainwright, Loudon Wainwright & Chaim Tannenbaum; guitars played by LW & Michel Pepin, Bass by MP, and drums/perc. by John McColgan - from the wonderful "McGarrigle Hour" (1998) - and, the lyrics



SCHOOL DAYS

In Delaware when I was younger
I would live the life obscene
In the spring I had great hunger
I was Brando, I was Dean
Blaspheming, booted, blue-jeaned baby boy
Oh how I made them turn their heads
Townie brownie girls they jumped for joy
Begged me bless them in their beds

In Delaware when I was younger
I would row upon the lake
In the spring I had great hunger
I was Keats, I was Blake
My pimple pencil pains I'd bring
To frogs who sat entranced
My drift-dream ditties I would sing
The water strider danced

In Delaware when I was younger
They thought Saint Andrew had sufficed
But in the spring I had great hunger
I was Buddha, I was Christ
You wicked wise men where's your wonder
You Pharisees some day will pay
See my lightning, hear my thunder
I am truth I know the way
In Delaware when I was younger

And here a version by LWIII:



Day 16 - A song that you used to love but now hate

I have to confess, when I was a teenager, I did think that Chicago was a band you could listen to. I even liked "If you leave me now" - I was a teenager then, this may explain that severe kind of "Geschmacksverirrung" (lapse of taste). Here is that artsy-fartsy piece of schmaltz (guess y'all know it and won't have to listen - better listen to school days again or to one of the next tunes):



The plea made by a man to a woman that she should not leave him is quite an understandable undertaking, and it also makes sense to try it with music. But there certainly are more dignified ways to put the words "baby please don't go" as illustrated below with the rendering of a blues classic by Big Joe Williams, Ligthning Hopkins and Them (playback version - but look at young Van Morrison!!)


>





In case you like the version by Big Joe Williams (who is reported to have been the first one to record that song), here is another take of that song by him:



And, although some would call this - rightly - a metabasis eis allo genos -still another way to ask a girl/woman to stay in a musically justifiable fashion comes to mind: in French, by Jacques Brel:

No comments:

Post a Comment