Wednesday, December 29, 2010

1000 SONGS - DAY 6 SONG #14

Day 14 - A song that no one would expect you to love

I am sure that at least one person in the world can be found to every song that I like who would have expected me to do so. So there is simply no such song that no one would expect me to love. Furthermore, I know my friends - they would expect me to do anything, even things I really wouldn't do. I made up my mind and changed the challenge to put together 3 pieces of music that maybe most people would not expect to be enjoyed by the same person. In a way, they are self- explaining: sexually explicit hip-hop, a piece from Bach's Matthaeuspassion (to Paul Gerhardt's "O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden") and a comment on British politics in the mid-80ies by Tackhead featuring Gary Clail (to the hard left). With respect to the middle piece of this triptych, I do not like the fully orchestrated versions (with Regensburger Domspatzen and the like) too much, as I think this is against the spirituality of the song. I found some versions with guitar only on YouTube but finally chose a version arranged for string-quartet. May not be of highest virtuosity, but this piece of music doesn't call for virtuosity.








1 comment: