Sunday, May 1, 2011

1000 SONGS - DAY 40: SONGS # 66-68

DAY 66: A Song that Reminds You of a Certain Event

The song featured here, by Joe Ray from TOGO, reminds me of somewhere - Lomé, Togo, 2007, and it reminds me of a certain event. Coming back from Benin we had to wait for hours to cross the border to Togo, because the two presidents of Togo and Benin had come together at this very border in order to inaugurate a new glass-fibre cable to make internet and the like faster in that region (or something like that). In August and September 2007, Manyame seems to have been a big hit in Togo, as you would hear it everywhere on the streets - also in Kpalime, where I bought the CD containing that song among many others by Togolese artists (I guess this one CD was fabricated by the man who owned the store). The ceremony at the border featured, among other ritual activities, a tam tam Zangbeto. And I heard that song for the first time since having left Togo for Benin and I had the feeling of coming home:





DAY 67: A Song that Reminds You of Somewhere

A couple of years ago, when - for some miraculous reasons - I seem to have had more time off than nowadays, I spent some of my free time volunteering in a so called "world shop", where products distributed by "fair trade" are sold among them CD's featuring so called "World Music". Very seldomly customers dropped in, most of the time I sat there reading a book and listening to the CD's the store had in store. Among them were also some albums by the late Ali Farka Touré from Mali, so whenever I hear any tune by Ali Farka Touré, it reminds me of that shop in Gloggnitz, Lower Austria, run by the (now retired) school-teacher of religion in that lovely village (at least the surroundings are lovely). Here is a fine piece of music by Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabate, from their Album "Ali & Toumani", recorded in 2005 and released in 2010 (when Ali has long been dead) called Sabu Yerko, and I think, it is really great:



DAY 68: A Song that You Know All the Words to

I am not sure about being able to recite the song's lyrics in the right order, but this one song by the GREAT GILLIAN WELCH is a song that I use to sing along to, whenever I hear it and that sticks to my mind and that is a nuisance to my environment, as far as I often sing it when walking the streets (and I have very restricted abilities as a singer).
Everything is free, from Time (The Revelator):



BONUS TRACK:

Since one of the last posts has featured "The Weight" as performed by The Band and the Staples Singers on "The Last Waltz", here is a very fine version of that song as a bonus track to this here post, featuring Gillian Welch, David Rawlings & the OLD CROW MEDICINE SHOW:

No comments:

Post a Comment